Shredded apple pie is the best apple pie I’ve ever tasted, but I have to admit that the first time I saw it I was a little disconcerted. … Not gonna lie, it looks like hash browns in a pie crust, but THE APPLE FLAVOR IS PHENOMENAL! It literally bursts in your mouth.
Try it for yourself!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Shredded Apple Pie
Serve with plain or garnished with whipped cream or ice cream. You could even sprinkle the top with a little cinnamon.
Free Printable Recipe for Shredded Apple Pie
Shredded Apple Pie
- 4 Granny Smith apples peeled and grated
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk
- 4 eggs (2 whole and 2 yolks)
- 1 prepared pie crust
- Melt butter and set aside to cool to room temperature,
- Prepare a pie plate with your bottom pie crust, and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Mix together the sugar, flour, and cinnamon, and set aside.
- Whisk the whole egg with 2 yolks and milk, and add the sugar mixture. Whisk together until smooth to make a custard.
- Working quickly so they don’t turn brown, peel, core, and grate the 4 granny smith apples into a mixing bowl. Drizzle the cooled melted butter on top, and mix until all apples are coated. Pour in the custard mixture, and stir to combine.
- Pour apple filling into crust, and top with strips of dough to form a lattice. Flute the edges, and decorate with a cut out of an apple and leaves, if desired. Do NOT completely cover the pie with a crust because the custard need to breath in order to bake properly.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining egg with a fork. Brush the edges of the pie crust with the egg wash.
- Cover edges with foil.
- Bake at 425°F for 15 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature and bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes until golden brown. Watch closely. You may want to remove foil from edges for last 15 minutes, if the crust is still too wet and raw looking.
- Remove from the oven, and cool to let the custard set.
- Serve with plain or garnished with whipped cream or ice cream.