It’s autumn again, and I’m baking yummy fall treats. I love pumpkin spice recipes as much as the next gal, but I’m offering you another option just in case you’re in the mood to change it up a bit.
Introducing caramel apple spice cake.
This moist apple spice cake is transported to another galaxy of flavor by the addition of caramel in the frosting and drizzled on top.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Caramel Apple Spice Cake
Free Printable Recipe for Caramel Apple Spice Cake
Caramel Apple Spice Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup butter melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup applesauce unsweetened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 package 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- ½ cup butter room temperature
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup caramel sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- 2 tablespoons caramel sauce for drizzling
- Grease cake pan (sheet pan, 13×9 inch pan, or round pans), and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In bowl of stand mixer, beat sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla for two minutes, scaping sides of bowl. Add applesauce and lemon juice, and beat two minutes more.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk completely.
- Mix into applesauce mixture alternately with buttermilk. Transfer to prepared pan(s) and bake as follows:
- Sheet pan 30-40 minutes
- 13 x 9 inch pan 35-45 minutes
- 9 inch round pans 35-40 minutes
- 8 inch round pans 35-45 minutes
- It’s done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely.
- Make the frosting by combining all the ingredients, and beating on high speed until light and fluffy. Spread on cake, drizzle with caramel, and top with walnuts if desired. Refrigerate two hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers.