Berry Cream Pie is a sweet, creamy custard, with just a hint of tang, nestled in a graham cracker pecan crust. It’s so delicious when topped with whipped cream and berries!I’ve experimented with lots of varieties of berries, and they’re all wonderful! The nuts in the crust compliment the berries, so you just can’t go wrong with a berry cream pie! Try it and see!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Berry Cream Pie
Free Printable Recipe for Homemade Berry Cream Pie
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs (about 11 full sized rectangles)
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 7 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- Whipped cream
- Fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in a 9-inch pie plate, and press into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a 6-quart saucepan, over medium flame, heat buttermilk and cream until hot but not boiling.
- Meanwhile, in a medium size mixing bowl, whisk together egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt. While whisking vigorously, slowly drizzle hot cream into egg mixture. Continue to whisk until all incorporated. Pour the mixture through a wire strainer back into the saucepan. Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat, until just beginning to change color and thicken. Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla and lemon zest.
- Pour hot filling into cooled crust, smooth top, and immediately cover with plastic wrap. Make sure the plastic is laying directly on the custard. This prevents a skin from forming. Cool completely, then refrigerate for several hours/overnight.
- When ready to serve, cut into wedges, and top with fresh berries and sweetened whipped cream.