Thanksgiving is over, and if you’re still up to your elbows in left-over turkey, I have a perfect solution; chicken pot pie. In this case, it’s turkey, but the principle is the same. Just substitute diced turkey for the chicken, and you’ll be set.
This hearty, savory, tasty dinner is quick and simple, but so satisfying. Give chicken pot pie a try, and your family will thank you.
You can make this recipe with a refrigerated crust from the grocery store, or you can make your own using this Pie Crust Recipe.
Easy Step-By-Step Directions for Chicken Pot Pie
Free Printable Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie
Write a review
- 2 cups cooked, diced chicken (I prefer white meat)
- 1 cup diced peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- ½ cup sliced celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup butter, divided
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 cup milk (2 %, whole, or half and half)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Pastry for 1 (2-crust) pie
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large saucepan, combine potatoes, carrots, and celery and pour in chicken broth until completely covered. If all the vegetables aren’t submerged, add just enough water to cover. Over high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to simmer for about 8 minutes or until just tender.
- Meanwhile, over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter in another saucepan, and sauté onions until wilted. Add remaining butter to melt. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and thyme.
- When potatoes and carrots are tender, drain broth into flour mixture. Add milk, and whisk constantly, over medium-high heat until boiling. Remove from heat.
- Pour sauce over cooked vegetables, frozen peas, and diced chicken, and gently fold until incorporated.
- Line pie pan with bottom crust, and fill with chicken mixture. Cover with top crust, then seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top, and bake at 425 degrees for 35-40 minutes. If crust starts to get too brown, cover loosely with foil.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/