This savory, tender Cafe Rio Style Sweet Pulled Pork is perfect for making quesadillas, burritos, enchiladas, tacos, or, my favorite, … salads. It’s full of flavor and packs a little kick that will please your palate.
The Secret to Perfect Pulled Pork
I cook the pork, completely before I add the sauce. I know it’s different from what most of these recipes tell you to do, but that’s what makes this one better. Click here to get instructions for cooking shredded pork. It’s worth it. Then come back for the sauce.
- 5 pounds cooked, shredded pork (loin, butt or shoulder)
- 1 can (7 ounces) diced green chiles
- 1 can (28 ounces) mild red enchilada sauce
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups Coke or Dr Pepper
- Place cooked, shredded pork in a slow cooker on warm. Cover, and allow to heat slowly.
- In a blender, pulse green chiles, enchilada sauce, salt, and chile powder until smooth. Pour into a 6 quart sauce pan, and add brown sugar and Coke. Turn heat to medium, and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Allow to simmer (uncovered) until reduced by half and thickened (about an hour). Watch and stir regularly.
- Pour over pork in slow cooker, and mix until completely coated. Cover, and heat on low for 1-2 hours.