This is a fresh and cool summer treat. I’ts a simple basic key lime pie recipe in miniature size, and these petite little ladies are sweet, tart, smooth, sassy, and so creamy.
I love limes!
Key Lime Tarts
- ½ cup fresh key lime juice (approximately 18 key limes) or juice from common limes
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 – 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- Graham Cracker Crust for 6 mini tart tins or 1 (8 inch) tart tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the graham cracker crust, and allow them to cool completely
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Thoroughly wash and dry limes, and juice them..
- Whisk sweetened condensed milk with yolks. Add juice, and let sit until thickened. (about 5 minutes)
- Pour lime filling into the cool crust, and spread evenly.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes until the center sets, but still wiggles when shaken.
- Cool completely, then refrigerate overnight.
- Yields 6 (4 inch) mini tarts or 1 (8 inch) tart
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/
My mini tart tins. They measure 4 inches in diameter, have removable bottoms, and a non-stick coating. I got them from amazon.com, and I love them!
Prepare one batch of Graham Cracker Crust. Here’s my favorite recipe. It will fill 6 (4 inch) tart tins. If you don’t have the mini tins, use an 8 inch tart pan or pie plate.
Place the tart crusts on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to set them. Let them cool completely before filling.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
Cut the limes in half, and squeeze out 1/2 cup of juice.
I like to squeeze my juice into a strainer to remove small seeds and extra pulp.
Depending upon how juicy the limes are, you can get 1/2 cup of juice from 15-25 limes. I always buy 25 to be safe. I use any leftovers for garnish.
Separate 4 eggs. If you don’t know how to do this, here’s a quick tutorial. You’ll need
4 egg yolks
You won’t be using the whites in this recipe.
1 (14 ounce can) sweetened condensed milk
Whisk together until smooth.
Add the lime juice, and whisk again.
When it’s all incorporated, let it sit for about 5 minutes to thicken slightly.
Pour the filling into the crusts, then bake at 325 degrees for 15 minutes. (If you are making 6 mini tarts, put 1/3 cup in each one.)
Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Then refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
Garnish with whipped cream and lime slices, and …