Tetrazzini is a creamy, rich, hearty pasta dish, full of wonderful flavor. It can easily be prepared ahead, so it’s a good meal for special occasions. It works great with turkey, so it makes a nice change of pace a few days after Thanksgiving or Christmas. I make my tetrazzini with lniguini, but it’s usually made with spaghetti. You can use whichever long noodles you prefer.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Tetrazzini
While you wait for the water to boil, work on the vegetables.
Free Printable Recipe for Tetrazzini
- 8 ounces linguine, broken in half
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup cream
- 3 cups cooked chicken or turkey, cubed (I prefer the white meat)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- ½ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup red pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- To speed up the process, heat the chicken broth in the microwave until it’s almost boiling.
- Melt 6 tablespoons of the butter in a 5 quart soup pot.
- Stir in the flour, then add the salt, pepper, and chicken bouillon. Mix thoroughly.
- Stir in the heated broth and the cream, and cook until it’s bubbly and thick.
- Add ½ cup of the Parmesan, incorporate completely, and set aside.
- Bring 2-3 quarts of water to a boil, cook linguine 9 minutes, or until “al dente,” then drain.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce.
- While the pasta is cooking, prepare the mushrooms, peppers, onion and garlic.
- In a large skillet, melt one of the remaining tablespoons of butter, and sauté the mushrooms, over medium heat. Cook until browned, then add to the sauce.
- Melt the last tablespoon of butter in the skillet, and sauté the peppers and onions until tender. (about 5 minutes)
- Add the garlic, and sauté for one minute more. Add to the sauce.
- Add the meat to the sauce.
- Pour into a greased 3-quart casserole.
- Sprinkle with cheddar and remaining Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.