This delicious dish is a one skillet wonder! If you have an oven-safe, covered skillet, you can make an entire meal in one pan. What could be better than that?
In the summer of 2014, my husband and I spent 2 weeks touring Spain. During that trip, we ate many yummy foods, but none were as wonderful as paella. This recipe is reminiscent of paella, only it’s easier (and quicker) to make. The secret is white wine, saffron, cilantro, and lemon.
Let’s do this.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. … and heat an oven-safe, covered skillet on the stove top, over medium heat.
- 6 chicken thighs, skin on or off as preferred
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large tomato, diced (1 cup)
- 1 ½ cups long grain rice
- 3 cups chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 ½ cups frozen peas or Italian style green beans, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1-2 lemons
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drizzle 2 teaspoons olive oil on chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then drizzle with approximately 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice. Coat all sides chicken. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- Mix a pinch of saffron threads into the white wine, and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Heat a large, oven-safe, covered skillet over medium heat.
- Add last teaspoon of oil to skillet, and brown chicken for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from pan.
- Add butter to skillet and sauté onion about 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes and the wine/saffron mixture.
- Boil until wine has reduced by half.
- Stir in bay leaves, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Add rice and peas or beans, and combine.
- Add chicken broth and bouillon, and bring to a boil.
- Return chicken to skillet.
- As soon as the mixture returns to a boil, cover, and put in oven.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let rest (with lid on) for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and fresh lemon juice, and serve.