I’m going with a different spin on my apple pie, and I’m calling it Caramel Apple pie.
I love caramel, and I especially love caramel apples. I eat my caramel and apples in equal parts. (The apple is simply a vehicle to carry the caramel into my mouth.) So it’s no big surprise that I really like apple pie filling that includes caramel sauce. … Aaaaannnd because that’s not enough, I increased my caramel to apple ratio and made an additional caramel sauce to drizzle (pour, douse, or drench) on top of the pie and/or ice cream. Now, I’m sharing it with the world. I hope you like it, world, because it’s truly caramel apple heaven!Let’s begin. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Apple Pie
(If you want to make your own, here’s my favorite pie crust recipe.) Then roll out the top crust and cut it into strips for the lattice top. (For instructions on how to make a lattice top pie, here’s a great tutorial)
Free Printable Recipe for Apple Pie
- ½ cup butter
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 large granny smith apples – peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1 pastry for two-crust pie (see post for Perfect Pie Dough
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- In a deep-dish pie pan, prepare bottom crust.
- Roll out and cut lattice strips for top crust.
- Place the apple slices in a steamer basket over 1 cup boiling water. Cover and steam approximately 10 minutes, or just until they start to wilt. This prevents them from being crunchy in your pie. Keep covered, and set aside.
- Measure ½ cup of the liquid from the steamer into a saucepan, and combine with the butter, sugars, cinnamon, and salt.
- Bring to a boil and set aside.
- Gently fill Pie crust with apples. They will be hot, and you don’t want to gouge or puncture your crust.
- Put lattice top crust on apple filling. (See post for Lattice Pie Crust)
- Slowly pour butter-sugar mixture over top of pie, coating the lattice and allowing sauce to drizzle down into filling. Be especially careful that none runs over the edge of the crust. Keep it all inside and on top.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake another 35-40 minutes or until the crust is golden and the filling is bubbling. Allow to cool before slicing.