I love peaches. In fact, they’re quite possibly, my favorite fruit. When I get a ripe, juicy one, I can’t imagine anything better. Unfortunately, the window for getting good, fresh peaches is small. So when it’s peach season, I eat as many as I can, and then I make as many delicious peach treats as possible. My mom used to get vanilla ice cream and blend in fresh peaches to make peach shakes … yum! We loved that! So that’s the inspiration for Peach ice cream. It’s a peach shake that you can eat in a bowl.
Since I make it with fresh peaches, in the autumn I peel, pit, slice, and freeze as many peaches as I can so that I can use them to make more peach ice cream in the future.
Anyway, if you have some peaches, and you’re looking for a light, refreshing treat, peach ice cream can’t be beat!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Peach Ice Cream
Free Printable Recipe for Peach Ice Cream
Peach Ice Cream
- 2/3 cup half and half
- 1 cup granulated sugar divided
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 1/3 cups heavy cream
- 4 large peaches about 3 cups pureed
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- In microwave, heat half and half at high power for 45 seconds. Make sure it’s hot, but do NOT boil.
- Whisk ½ cup of the sugar, vanilla, and almond extract, and salt into hot half and half until completely dissolved. Combine vanilla mixture with heavy cream, and set aside.
- Peel, pit, and puree peaches with 2 teaspoons lemon juice and remaining ½ cup sugar. Stir into cream mixture, then cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Pour cooled mixture into ice cream maker, and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions. Enjoy immediately, or transfer to an airtight freezer container, and allow to harden in the freezer.