Whenever I go to an ice cream parlor that does mix-ins, I choose the same thing. I want chocolate ice cream with toffee bits and almonds in it. So one day I realized that I should make it at home, and …
… a star was born. This is my favorite ice cream! I use my recipe for chocolate frozen custard as my base and then mix in lots of love (and some toffee and almonds). It’s a winner!
Easy Ste-By-Step Instructions for Chocolate Toffee Almond Ice Cream
Free Printable Recipe for Chocolate Toffee Almond Ice Cream
Chocolate Toffee Almond Ice Cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup Dutch cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk whole, 2%, or even 1/%
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- ½ cup half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped toffee bar 3 (1.4 ounce) Heath or Skor
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate bar 1 (1.45 ounce) Hershey’s Special Dark
- ½ cup chopped roasted salted almonds
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and 3 tablespoons sugar, and set aside.
- In a small saucepan, over medium heat whisk together, ½ cup sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and milk. As soon as the mixture starts to steam, slowly pour about ¼ cup of it into the egg yolks, whisking the yolk mixture vigorously the entire time. Return the chocolate mixture to the heat, and slowly add the yolk mixture, while continuing to whisk. This allows you to incorporate the eggs without causing them to scramble. Bring the entire mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- In a 4 cup measure or bowl, combine heavy cream, half and half, and vanilla. Whisk in the cooled chocolate custard, and stir until completely combined. Chill for 2 hours.
- Churn mixture in ice cream maker according to manufacturer’s instructions. When the ice cream is almost done churning, add the chopped toffee, chocolate, and almonds. Enjoy immediately, or transfer to an airtight freezer container, and allow to harden in the freezer.