Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Shortbread
Free Printable Recipe for Shortbread
- 1 cup 230 grams butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup 80 grams powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract substitute lemon zest or other flavoring
- 2 ¼ cups 250 grams all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F, and line 8 x 8 inch baking pan with parchment.
- Beat together butter, sugar, salt, and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Press into prepared baking pan, and flatten top. I laid another piece of parchment over it, and stroked across the parchment with my palm to get as smooth a surface as I could.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes, then remove from oven and mark the shapes. (I used a bench knife and pressed straight up and down all the way through the dough instead of trying to drag it across the fragile surface. Then I used a wooden skewer to poke three holes in the top of each cookie.)
- Return to oven, and bake another 35 to 40 minutes, until they turn golden. Watch closely at the end as not to overbake!
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack, and then remove and snap apart along marked cuts.
Store at room temperature, in an airtight container, for a week, or wrap tightly and freeze.