We love sugar cookies, but everyone knows that they’re a lot of work. So I (and most other people with a life) only make them on holidays and special occasions. Then one day, it occurred to me that there had to be a way to make the same delicious cookies using less time and energy. That’s how sugar cookie bars came into my life.
I use my favorite sugar cookie recipe with a few minor tweaks, and the results are near perfection.
Sugar cookie bars have all the delicious taste of the more high-maintenance original recipe, but with the benefit of being way more chill. Now I make sugar cookies even when it’s not a special occasion.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Sugar Cookie Bars
Free Printable Recipe for Sugar Cookie Bars
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 6 teaspoons half and half at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- drops of food coloring optional
- sprinkles or decorations optional
DIRECTIONS FOR COOKIES
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a 13 X 9 inch pan, and
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and shortening together. Beat in egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix just long enough to combine.
- Press into prepared 13 X 9 inch pan, getting the top as flat and level as you can.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, watching closely to make sure they’re dry and baked, but not turning brown.
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING
- Combine sugar, butter, half and half, salt, and vanilla, and beat until fluffy.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- Spread on cookies, and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Refrigerate cookies for at least an hour after frosting.