We love sugar cookies, but everyone knows that they’re a lot of work. So I (and most other people with a life) only make them on holidays and special occasions. Then one day, it occurred to me that there had to be a way to make the same delicious cookies using less time and energy. That’s how sugar cookie bars came into my life.
I use my favorite sugar cookie recipe with a few minor tweaks, and the results are near perfection.
Sugar cookie bars have all the delicious taste of the more high-maintenance original recipe, but with the benefit of being way more chill. Now I make sugar cookies even when it’s not a special occasion.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Sugar Cookie Bars
Free Printable Recipe for Sugar Cookie Bars
Sugar Cookie Bars
- 1/3 cup butter room temperature
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons cream or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons softened butter
- 6 teaspoons half and half at room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- drops of food coloring optional
- sprinkles or decorations optional
DIRECTIONS FOR COOKIES
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment) a 13 X 9 inch pan, and
- preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and shortening together. Beat in egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, and mix just long enough to combine.
- Press into prepared 13 X 9 inch pan, getting the top as flat and level as you can.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, watching closely to make sure they’re dry and baked, but not turning brown.
DIRECTIONS FOR FROSTING
- Combine sugar, butter, half and half, salt, and vanilla, and beat until fluffy.
- Add food coloring, if desired.
- Spread on cookies, and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- Refrigerate cookies for at least an hour after frosting.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge, and they’ll stay delicious for about 10 days. However, they never last that long.