The cookie dough for these salted caramel cookies is actually made out of caramel. So every bite is rich, and buttery, and caramely!
They’re extra delicious if you add nuts, but that’s up to you.
Give these crispy, salted caramel cookies a try!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Salted Caramel Cookies
Free Printable Recipe for Salted Caramel Cookies
Salted Caramel Cookies
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ½ cups packed brown sugar
- ½ cup butter softened
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup chopped pecans optional
- Coarse sea salt for topping
- In a heavy sauce pan, combine caramel ingredients, and stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes, and remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature (about 30 minutes).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cream of tartar.
- In bowl of stand mixer, combine cooled caramel mixture with ½ cup butter. Beat until mixture lightens in color and gets fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla, and beat another 2 minutes.
- Fold in dry ingredients, just until combined. Do NOT over-mix. Add pecans, if desired.
- Divide dough in half, and shape into two logs about 1 ½ to 2 inches in diameter. Wrap the dough in plastic, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment, and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Slice chilled dough into disks about ¼ inch thick (try to make them as uniform as possible), and place them about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops with coarse sea salt, and bake at 375 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool in pans for 2 minutes, and then remove to cooling rack.