Happy New Year! The holidays may be over, but “Baby, it’s [still] cold outside!” So I’m thinking warm comfort food!
This hearty, meaty, cheesy lasagna is my new favorite! I know there are about a bazillion lasagna variations from veggie to chocolate (which all have their place), but this is an old faithful. It’s not anything revolutionary, but it stands the test of time because it’s basic, hearty, delicious, homemade food!It’s also fairly simple to assemble, and it works great if you prepare it a day or two ahead. That makes it a wonderful dish for big events. GO LASAGNA!
Try it and see!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Lasagna
Free Printable Recipe for Lasagna
- 2 slices good-quality bread, torn in pieces
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup large curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups (4 ounces) Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 16 lasagna noodles
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Fresh basil for garnish, if desired
- In 6-quart pot, bring at least 4 quarts of water to a boil, and cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain, and lay out on wax paper to prevent sticking. Place the pot back on the stove to make the meat sauce.
- Pour milk over bread pieces and use a fork to mash into a paste. Combine this mixture with ground beef, salt, and pepper, and mix completely. Use your hands. In pasta pot, sauté onion in olive oil over medium heat, for about 5 minutes. Add garlic, oregano, and pepper flakes, and sauté for one more minute. Add beef mixture, and increase heat to high. Stirring frequently, cook the meat until just brown (about 5 minutes). Add crushed tomatoes, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Béchamel Sauce Directions
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan, cream, garlic, cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
- Assemble lasagna as follows. Lightly coat bottom and side of 13x9 inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Line 3 noodles in bottom. Top with 2 cups meat mixture, and one fourth of béchamel sauce. Sprinkle with one-fourth of the shredded mozzarella. Repeat layers two more times. Lay noodles on top of last layer, spread with last of the béchamel, and sprinkle with last of the mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover with foil. Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove foil, and bake 30 minutes, more. Cool for at least 30 minutes before cutting, and then sprinkle with fresh basil (if desired) just before serving.