These scones are so delicious! I like them fresh from the oven, and there’s really no reason to wait … except, possibly, to avoid burns. That’s a good reason.
Try them with butter, fresh whipped cream, your favorite jam, or the trifecta, all three together. YUMMO!
Easy Step-By-Step Directions for English Scones
Free Printable English Scones Recipe
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup (½ stick) butter, cold
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- Butter, whipped cream, and jam for serving
- Cut butter into cubes about the size of green peas then return to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or a silicon mat, and heat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a one-cup measure, slightly beat the egg with the milk. Set aside.
- In a medium size mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, and whisk well. Add cold butter cubes, and cut together. The butter chunks should remain fairly large -- about half their original size. Gradually mix in the egg/milk mixture to make a dough, saving excess to glaze tops of scones.
- Gently form the dough into a ball on a lightly floured surface. Roll out to about ½ inch thick circle – approximately 7 inches in diameter. Cut circle into 8 triangles.
- Arrange scones on prepared baking sheet then brush tops with remaining milk mixture. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until lightly golden. Cool on wire racks.
- Serve with butter, fresh whipped cream, and jam.