In an attempt to describe the perfection of this blueberry cake, I’m reminded of the story of the Three Bears. However, instead of focusing on temperature, I’m referring to the level of sweetness. In my version, the papa bear would taste a random cake and say it’s not sweet enough. The mama bear might taste a different cake and say that it’s too sweet. But the baby bear would try this blueberry cake and say, “It’s just right!”
Easy Step-By-Step Directions for Blueberry Cake
Click here for the lemon zester that I use. It works great, and I love it.
Free Printable Blueberry Cake Recipe
- 1 cup sugar (reserve 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of cake)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (approximately 1 lemon)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Ronald Reginald's vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (remove 1/8 cup to toss with blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan (or something similar), or coat it with non-stick spray for baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash, dry, and zest the peel of 1 lemon to make 2 teaspoons zest.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, measure 1 cup sugar, and remove 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of cake Then cream sugar, butter, and lemon zest until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Meanwhile, in another medium-sized mixing bowl, measure 2 cups flour, and remove 1/8 cup to toss with blueberries. Then whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle reserved 1/8 cup flour on blueberries, and toss to coat.
- Add flour mixture to batter in thirds, alternating with buttermilk, and ending with flour. Be sure to mix thoroughly after each addition.
- Fold in blueberries, and spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with reserved tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a pick into the center, and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Let cool on wire rack.