Banana bread muffins are super-hero among foods. Let me explain.
When my children were teenagers, they left home early for school. They were out the door by 5:45 a.m. This made breakfast difficult, especially because they usually didn’t allow enough time to sit down and eat. Sometimes they weren’t even hungry at that hour. However, I couldn’t send them out the door to face a long day without sustenance. So I began preparing “to-go” foods. Banana bread muffins to the rescue! I would bake a batch, and freeze them. Then my kids could grab a couple as they were heading out, and by the time they were hungry, the muffins would be thawed.
Also, have you ever noticed how bananas can go from being too green to too brown in about 7 seconds? I’ve had to throw out a lot of bananas that got too ripe. However, extra ripe bananas are perfect for banana bread. In fact, I wouldn’t even use the green ones because they don’t have enough flavor. I’d let them sit for 7 seconds, until they turn brown. 🙂 Anyway, banana bread muffins are a quick, easy, semi-nutritious breakfast, but they’re also a wonderful snack. You can make them with or without the nuts, and if you need some chocolate in your life, stir in 1 cup of mini chocolate chips.
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Banana Bread Muffins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F, and grease or line muffin tins.I got these super cute papers right here. or Here’s another cute option.
If you need mixing bowls, these are my favorite.
Free Printable Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas (a 7.5 inch banana is ½ cup)
- ¼ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Grease muffin tins, or line with paper
- Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs and beat well.
- Add banana, milk, and lemon juice, and beat to combine.
- Add nuts, if desired, and incorporated.
- Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to wet ingredients, stirring as little as possible.
- Immediately pour batter into prepared tins, and bake for 18-20 minutes at 375 degrees F. Watch carefully!
- Cool in tins for 5 minutes, then remove to rack and cool completely.
- To make Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins, add
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Add them to the batter at the same time as the nuts.
Here are the links for some of the tools used in this post. Happy baking!