One of the really wonderful things about this recipe is that the secret ingredient gives them a richer, more caramel taste, and while subtly enhancing the flavor, remains unidentifiable. Have I peaked your curiosity? Then, keep reading.The special secret is pure maple syrup. It not only gives great flavor, but it also makes the cookies soft for days.
Unless you tell people your secret, they’ll never guess what makes your cookies so special.
- 1 ½ cups unsalted butter (3 sticks), softened to room temperature
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- ¼ cup secret ingredient (pure maple syrup, shhh)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Line baking pans with parchment or silicone mats, and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, and the secret ingredient (maple syrup), and give it a good beating until it’s light and bubbly. It will be a little bit runny.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, sea salt, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture, and stir, by hand, just to incorporate. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Scoop rounded tablespoons of dough onto prepared cookie sheet, and bake for 10 minutes.