It’s hot outside, and Independence Day is just around the corner. Why not start your day off with something patriotic?This moist, delicious cake works for breakfast or dessert because fresh, juicy raspberries and blueberries make it both sweet and tangy. The top is just slightly crunchy, and the whole thing is amazing! Top it with a cream cheese glaze, or eat it plain. I love it both ways!
- 1 cup sugar (reserve 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of cake)
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest (approximately 1 lemon)
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (remove 1/8 cup to toss with blueberries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and dried
- 1 cup fresh raspberries, washed and dried
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons cream (or milk)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Grease an 8-inch square baking pan (or something similar), or coat it with non-stick spray for baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash, dry, and zest the peel of 1 lemon to make 2 teaspoons zest.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, measure 1 cup sugar, and remove 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top of cake. Then cream sugar, butter, and lemon zest until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, and beat until well combined.
- Meanwhile, in another medium-sized mixing bowl, measure 2 cups flour, and remove 1/8 cup to toss with berries. Then whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Sprinkle reserved 1/8 cup flour on blueberries and raspberries, and toss to coat.
- Add flour mixture to batter in thirds, alternating with buttermilk, and ending with flour. Be sure to mix thoroughly after each addition.
- Fold in berries, and spread batter into prepared pan. Sprinkle top with reserved tablespoon of sugar.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. To test for doneness, insert a pick into the center, and if it comes out clean, it’s ready.
- Let cool on wire rack.
- Combine all ingredients in a medium-size mixing bowl, and beat until smooth. Spread or pipe onto cake while still slightly warm.
When it reaches luke-warm, make the cream cheese icing.
You can drizzle, spread, or pipe it onto the cake. I cut mine into pieces first.
Then I …