Who doesn’t like warm, soft breadsticks? These are like the Olive Garden’s version, only much better. They require a little planning because it takes approximately 2 hours to make them, but they’re worth it.
If you’ve got the time, give them a try. They’ll make any meal BETTER!
Write a review
1 hr 20 min
1 hr 20 min
- 1 ½ cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 cups flour (a little more if necessary)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Grease a large baking sheet, and set aside.
- Heat water in microwave for 30-45 seconds, just until slightly warm to the touch.
- In a small mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, dissolve sugar and yeast in warm water. Let sit for 10 minutes until foamy.
- Combine flour, salt, melted butter, and yeast mixture, and knead for several minutes to form a soft dough.
- Shape into a ball, place on a greased surface, cover with a clean cloth, and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Divide the ball into fourths, and shape into balls. Divide each ball into fourths, again, and form into smaller balls. You’ll have 16 golf-ball sized dough balls. Cover with the cloth, and working with one little ball at a time, roll the dough into long strips to form the bread sticks. (I roll mine until they’re about 12 inches).
- Carefully lay the breadsticks side by side on the greased pan, making sure that they don’t touch. Cover the pan, and allow to rise in a warm place for about one hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter and whisk with garlic powder and salt.
- Bake breadsticks for 10 minutes, then remove from oven, and gently brush tops with garlic butter. Quickly return to oven and bake another 5-10 minutes until they reach the desired shade of golden-brown. Watch carefully. Remove from oven, and immediately brush with remaining butter mixture.
- Cool on wire rack for 5 minutes, then serve while warm.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/
Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and prepare the topping.