I like cake, and I used to think that there wasn’t much difference between a box mix and homemade. Silly girl! … Don’t get me wrong, I still like box cakes, and they’re really quick and easy. HOWEVER they aren’t in the same league as this.
This cake blows others out of the water. It’s my favorite white cake. It’s light, delicious, and fairly simple to make.
Deliciously Light White Cake
Write a review
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and line bottoms of 3 (9-inch) cake pans with parchment paper. Coat sides and parchment with non-stick spray for baking, or grease and flour them.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine butter and sugar, and beat for about 10 minutes. Scrape down sides regularly. The mixture should be very light and fluffy.
- Meanwhile, stir together milk and vanilla.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Alternately add 1/3 dry ingredients to the butter mixture then ½ of the milk. Beginning and ending with the flour. Mix thoroughly between each addition.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form, and then gently fold into batter.
- Divide batter evenly between prepared pans, and bake at 350 degrees for 20-23 minutes or until a pick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes, then remove from pans. Discard parchment paper, and cool completely.
- Spread with frosting.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/
It’s vital to the success of this recipe that you use CAKE flour. If you don’t have any, don’t worry, just click here for quick and easy directions to make your own.
Spread with your favorite frosting, or try this Delicious Buttercream Frosting recipe.