Shortbread cookies are delicious little butter cookies, and they’re perfect for giving to others. They’re pretty, festive, and not too sweet. Plus they’re easy to make. Change up the sprinkles for different occasions, and they’re versatile, as well.
Easy Step-By-Step Instruction for Shortbread Cookies
Line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats, preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
Free Printable Recipe for Shortbread Cookies
- 3 cups butter, softened
- 1 ½ cups confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 4 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Nonpareils or sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F, and line baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until very light. (about 10 minutes)
- While that's beating, whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt in another bowl. Gradually add the flour mixture, and continue beating until well blended.
- Roll dough into 1-inch balls, and place 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets. Press lightly with the bottom of a glass, or use fingers. Make indentations with a fork, and sprinkle with nonpareils or sugar.
- Bake at 300 degrees for 20-22 minutes. Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then remove to wire racks.
- Yields 9 dozen (108) small cookies