Today strawberries are on sale at the grocery store, and I know just what to do. Sarah is here with me, and we’re going to make a pie. It’s a perfect dessert for summer because it’s cool and light. It’s also the perfect color for a Fourth of July picnic. … just sayin’ …
Sparkling Fresh Strawberry Pie
- 1 baked 9 inch pie crust, cooled
- 4 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, mashed
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¾ cup lemon/lime soda
- ¼ cup water
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- Whipped cream
- Arrange 4 cups strawberry halves in pie crust.
- Mix water and cornstarch into a thin paste.
- Combine mashed berries, sugar, and lemon/lime soda in a medium sauce pan. Over medium heat, bring to a boil stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat to low. Slowly drizzle cornstarch mixture into sauce pan with strawberry mixture. Turn heat up to medium high, and stirring constantly, bring back to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Slowly pour mixture over strawberries in the pie crust. Allow to cool, and refrigerate several hours or overnight.
- Serve with whipped cream.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/
Start by baking a single pie crust. You can buy the dough or use this easy recipe for perfect pie crust
Bake it according to directions, and allow it to cool completely.
Wash and remove stems from
5 cups fresh strawberries
Slice 1 cup into a large, shallow bowl, and set aside the other 4 cups.
Mash the sliced berries.
In a small bowl, stir together
¼ cup water
3 tablespoons corn starch
In a 2 quart sauce pan, combine
1 cup mashed strawberries
¾ cup sugar
¾ cup lemon/lime soda
Over medium heat, bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Slowly drizzle cornstarch mixture into sauce pan with strawberry mixture. Turn heat up to medium high, and stirring constantly, bring back to a boil. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
Allow to cool for 3-5 minutes.
Meanwhile, in the baked (cooled) crust, arrange
4 cups strawberries, sliced in half
Pour the hot strawberry compote over the fresh berries in the crust.
Allow to cool completely, and then refrigerate several hours or overnight.
Serve it cold, …
… topped with fresh whipped cream.