This is a petty and tasty way to use fresh fruit. Be sure that your apricots are ripe. Adding less-than-ripe ones will make your crumble turn out bitter. Salt helps counter-act that effect, which is why I put it into the filling.
Write a review
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter
- 2 ½ pounds fresh apricots (5 cups chopped)
- 1 cup sugar (less if apricots are really sweet)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Then butter a pie plate.
- Combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt, and whisk together. Cut cold butter into small cubes, and using a pastry cutter or two butter knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse oats.
- Thoroughly wash, dry, and pit the apricots. Then coarsely chop them. Add sugar, salt, and vanilla, and stir just until combined.
- Pour apricot filling into prepared pie plate, and top with flour/butter mixture. Spread out and pat down.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes or until topping is golden.
- Cool for 35 minutes, and then serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/