These delicious little treats are the perfect combination of a donut and a muffin, as the name clearly indicates. They’re quick and easy to whip up, and I really like them because they aren’t fried. (I have nothing against eating fried donuts, I simply don’t want to have to do the frying.)
The outsides of these beauties are a little bit crisp, and the insides have a light, sweet, cake-y texture. They taste kind of like sour cream donuts. … I’m not quite sure how to describe them because they’re unique, but I can tell you that they’re yummy. You’ll just have to try them for yourself to see.
I’ve made both regular size and mini-muffin size. The cute little ones look a lot like donut holes, but I prefer the larger ones. The ratio of sugar coating to “donut” is better. The smaller ones are a little too sweet for me.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. This recipe makes 36 mini-muffins or 12 regular sized ones.
- 2 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla -or- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg (use one or the other)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs (2 whole plus 1 yolk)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Melt butter and allow to come to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, corn starch, sugar, baking powder, salt and nutmeg (if you’re using it.)
- Beat 2 whole eggs and 1 yolk with a fork. Combine with buttermilk, cooled, melted butter, and vanilla (if you’re using it.) Gently fold into dry ingredients, and mix just until combined.
- Distribute evenly between 12 muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Cool in muffin tin for 2 minutes, then transfer to wire rack.
- Melt ½ cup butter.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon, and mix thoroughly. As soon as muffins are cool enough to handle, brush all sides with melted butter, and roll in sugar mixture.
- Return to wire rack for 15 minutes, to finish cooling.
- Yields 12 regular size muffins or 36 mini-muffins