Every once in a while, an idea starts to take shape in my head, and it won’t let up. That’s what happened recently. This idea involved Rice Krispie Treats and caramel and chocolate. The caramel and chocolate were combined in the form of Rolos candies. I tried to ignore these thoughts, but they wouldn’t go away.
I told myself that I didn’t even have any Rolos in my house, so this wasn’t going to happen unless I made a run to the store. I don’t like going to the store. I have to make myself go grocery shopping once a week, and I’d already done it for the week. This was just going to have to wait, or I was going to have to break down and go.
Then my husband called me on his way home from work. He was stopping at a pharmacy to get something. He was calling to see if I needed anything. … … … I almost said no, but then this happened …
“YES! I need a bag of Rolos!” … and a chewy, chocolaty, caramely star was born.
- ½ cup butter
- 6 cups marshmallows
- 7 ½ cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 60 unwrapped Rolo candies, chopped (13 ounces)
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Grease a 13 x 9 inch pan with approximately 1 teaspoon of butter.
- Measure the cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- Unwrap and cut the Rolos in fourths.
- Melt the butter over low heat.
- Stir in the marshmallows, turn the heat up to medium, and stir constantly until melted and smooth.
- Pour the marshmallow butter over the cereal and stir to combine, and mix in chopped Rolos. Don’t overmix because the chocolate will begin to melt.
- Grease hands with butter, and press the mixture into prepared pan.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter together, and stir to combine.
- Spread on Rice Krispie Treats.
- Allow to cool completely so that the marshmallows set up.