This casserole is a variation of a recipe that my mom used to make when I was growing up. It was a chicken and broccoli casserole. While that one was yummy, I like this better. I love the addition of carrots and cauliflower. The colors are pretty, and I think it tastes better.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
California Chicken Casserole
Write a review
- 3 cups cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets (2 cups or 2 pounds)
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets (2 cups or 2 pounds)
- ½ pound carrots, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 (10.5 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly coat 13 x 9 inch baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a 6 quart pot, bring 2 cups generously salted water to a boil. Add broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots, and boil until crisp tender -3 or 4 minutes. Drain completely.
- Mix soup, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Add chicken and 1 cup cheese, and fold together.
- Arrange vegetables in bottom of prepared baking pan.
- Spread chicken/sauce mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining cup of cheese, and cover tightly with foil, taking care that it doesn’t touch the cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking 10 minutes more.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
- Originally, I only used broccoli in this recipe. Somewhere along the way I added the cauliflower and carrots. If you want to make it eliminate the cauliflower and carrots, use 5 cups of broccoli.
- Also, it works great with healthy request soup and light mayonnaise.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/