After making chocolate lava cake, I started wondering if it would be possible to use the same process to make a caramel cake. I experimented with several different ingredients and proportions until I came up with a version that I like. This rich, caramel version is a nice change from the more common chocolate variety. It’s quick and easy to make, and it’s delicious. Serve it with ice cream and berries, or if you don’t want to leave the chocolate completely, add chocolate sauce.
Preheat oven to 390 degrees F.
- 8 ounces white chocolate
- 6 ounces butter (¾ cup)
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces brown sugar (¾ cup)
- 2 ounces flour (½ cup)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 390 degrees F, and grease 6 ramekins.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a sauce pan over low heat.
- Whisk together eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Then whisk in flour.
- Add melted chocolate and butter, and mix well.
- Pour into prepared ramekins.
- Bake directly on oven rack at 390 degrees for 14 minutes.