Okay, these homemade carmelitas take oatmeal cookie bars to another dimension. They’re like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies’ cooler, smarter, prettier, younger sister. They’re like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies on performance enhancing drugs. They’re the Olympic gold medalist version. They’re amazing! The caramel layer takes them from ordinary to all-star status. Do you see where I’m going with this? These are DELICIOUS! … and … they’re easy to make!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for making Carmelitas
If you’re going to make the caramel, do that first.
Free Printable Recipe for Carmelitas
Write a review
- 1 ¾ cups quick oats
- 1 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar (packed)
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter (melted)
- 2 cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 2 cups homemade caramel sauce or 2 cups caramel ice cream topping mixed with ½ cup flour
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk (14 ounces)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup butter
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Caramel Sauce Directions
- Melt butter in heavy 3 quart sauce pan.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, and salt.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Allow to cool to room temperature (this is important because it prevents the caramel from running to the edges of the pan.)
- Make the cookie dough.
Cookie Dough Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Stir in butter, and mix well.
- Reserve 1 cup of oat mixture, press remaining mixture into bottom of prepared pan.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips and nuts. Drizzle caramel on top to within ¼ inch of pan edges.
- Top with remaining oat mixture.
- Bake 18-22 minutes more. Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Yields 30 bars.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/