This vanilla pudding is rich and satisfying! It’s delicious on it’s own, but it also makes a wonderful base for cream pies (banana or coconut or whatever you decide to create).
Heat milk in microwave on high power for 3-5 minutes. You want it very hot, but don’t let it boil.
Combine one whole egg and two yolks and whisk with a fork until fully combined and bubbly.
Whisking constantly, slowly stir in 1/2 cup of the hot milk. I can’t emphasize enough how important it is to whisk CONSTANTLY during this process! Otherwise you’ll end up with scrambled eggs in milk. (For this photo, I had already done the whisking, but couldn’t take a picture–I don’t have enough hands.)
Just to be on the safe side, you can pour the egg /hot milk mixture through a strainer to make sure there are no scrambles in your pudding. This is optional.
Combine sugar, corn starch, flour, and salt in a 3 quart sauce pan. Stir together, and add the remaining 1 1/2 cups hot milk. Whisk until completely dissolved.
Whisking constantly over medium heat, add egg/milk mixture, and continue stirring until pudding gets thick and starts to bubble. Boil two minutes, more (whisking constantly).
Remove from heat, and add butter and vanilla. Allow butter to melt, and then gently fold together until smooth. Don’t beat.
Transfer to a large bowl, and lay plastic wrap directly on top of hot pudding. This will prevent a scummy skin from forming. Refrigerate until cool. (1 hour)
Now it’s ready to eat plain, fill cream puffs or eclaires, make banana cream pie or coconut cream pie, or whatever your heart desires.
Vanilla Pudding and Pie Filling
- 1cup sugar
- ¼ cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs (1 whole and 2 yolks)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat milk in microwave on high power for 3-5 minutes. (Don’t let it boil)
- Combine 1 whole egg and 2 yolks in a bowl, and whisk with a fork until foamy.
- Slowly whisk ½ cup hot milk into eggs.
- Combine sugar, corn starch, flour, and salt in a 3 quart sauce pan.
- Add the rest of hot milk (2 ½ cups) to the ingredients in pan, and whisk constantly. Slowly add egg/milk mixture while continuing to whisk. Bring to a boil, and let cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and add butter and vanilla. Allow to sit until butter is melted, then fold together until smooth.
- Transfer to a large bowl, and immediately cover with plastic, allowing the plastic to touch the pudding. This will prevent the pudding from developing a skin. Refrigerate for one hour.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/