My husband spent two years in North Carolina, serving a mission for our church. During that time, he was introduced to wonderful Southern cooking. This recipe is one of his favorites, and it came to him from some dear friends, Merriss and Jackie Locklear, from Robeson County, North Carolina. It’s become his specialty.
Preheat grill to high heat.
While the chicken is grilling, prepare the sauce.
- 20-24 chicken pieces (thighs and drumsticks are best)
- salt and pepper
- 18 ounce bottle Kraft Original BBQ sauce
- 18 ounce bottle Kraft Thick and Spicy BBQ sauce
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- Rinse, pat dry, and skin (if desired) chicken. Generously sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
- Sear the chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low, and continue grilling for 10 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- While chicken is cooking, prepare sauce.
- Mix BBQ sauces, vinegar, and oil until completely combined.
- Completely submerge each piece of cooked chicken in sauce, and return to the grill. Cook for another 2-3 minutes per side, and baste with remaining sauce when you turn it over.
- Remove from grill, and let rest 5 minutes before serving.