Chicken fried steak is a guilty-pleasure type comfort food. It’s not something that I eat often, but it’s really yummy once in a while. It’s surprisingly easy to make, but you need to plan ahead because the meat needs to sit in a brine for 2 hours before frying. After that, you can coat and fry them in less than 20 minutes.
Let’s get started.
When you’re ready to fry the steaks, heat 3-4 cups of vegetable oil over medium high heat in a large, deep, skillet.
To make the gravy: heat 2 cups milk in microwave for 4-5 minutes on high power. Watch that it doesn’t boil over.
- 2 lbs rib-eye steaks, cut ½ inch thick
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, for brine
- 1-2 cups water, for brine
- 2-3 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- 3 ½ cups flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon chicken bouillon
- ½ teaspoon beef bouillon
- ½ teaspoon fresh pepper
- 2 cups milk
- salt to taste
- Trim excess fat from steaks.
- Using flat side of meat mallet, gently pound steaks to tenderize and slightly flatten.
- Place in baking dish and add enough water to cover completely. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon salt, and mix the solution. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In large, deep, skillet, heat 1 ½ inches of oil over medium high heat to 350 degrees F.
- In shallow bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sea salt, and pepper.
- One by one, lift the steaks from the brine, and dredge in flour mixture. Coat well. Then dip back into brine, and dredge again.
- Gently slip steaks into hot oil. Fry half at a time for 3-5 minutes per side. Watch carefully.
- Remove to paper towel lined plate, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat milk in microwave on high power for 4 minutes
- Melt the butter in a 2 quart sauce pan, then stir in flour, chicken and beef bouillons, and pepper to make a smooth roux.
- Add hot milk, and whisk until it thickens. If it’s too thick, add more milk, to desired consistency.
- Serve immediately with Chicken Fried Steak.