Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE chocolate! I also love caramel, and I particularly love the two together. They create a synergy where the sum is even GREATER than the parts. These brownies are a perfect example. YUM!
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, then start by making the caramel.
While the caramel is cooling, prepare the brownie base.
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk (7 ounces or ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package German Chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Melt ¼ cup butter in heavy 3 quart sauce pan.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, and salt.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake mix, 2/3 cup melted butter, milk and pecans. Mix just until combined.
- Spread half of the dough in an UNGREASED 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips then coconut on top of the baked layer.
- Drizzle caramel over chocolate chips and coconut.
- Crumble remaining dough over caramel. You can do this with 2 teaspoons or with your hands.
- Bake another 15-20 minutes, or until the brownie part feels slightly dry to the touch.
- Cool completely.
- Makes 24 (2 ½ x 2 inch) bars