Anyone who knows me knows I LOVE chocolate! I also love caramel, and I particularly love the two together. They create a synergy where the sum is even GREATER than the parts. These caramel brownies are a perfect example. YUM!They have coconut, pecans, and chocolate chips in them, but any one (or all) of those things is optional. If you don’t like coconut, leave it out. These caramel brownies will still be delicious!
Easy Step-By-Step Instructions for Caramel Brownies
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, then start by making the caramel.
While the caramel is cooling, prepare the brownie base.
Free Printable Recipe for Caramel Brownies
- ½ can sweetened condensed milk (7 ounces or ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- pinch sea salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 package German Chocolate cake mix
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2/3 cup (10 tablespoons) butter, melted
- ¾ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- Melt ¼ cup butter in heavy 3 quart sauce pan.
- Add sugar, corn syrup, condensed milk, and salt.
- Stirring constantly, bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine cake mix, 2/3 cup melted butter, milk and pecans. Mix just until combined.
- Spread half of the dough in an UNGREASED 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 6 minutes, then remove from oven.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips then coconut on top of the baked layer.
- Drizzle caramel over chocolate chips and coconut.
- Crumble remaining dough over caramel. You can do this with 2 teaspoons or with your hands.
- Bake another 15-20 minutes, or until the brownie part feels slightly dry to the touch.
- Cool completely.
- Makes 24 (2 ½ x 2 inch) bars