This soup is practically perfect! It meets all my T.E.N.A. criteria, which are: Taste (it’s delicious), Ease of preparation (it’s quick and easy), Nutritional value (it’s low fat and healthy), and Avocado (you can add them). So like I said, PERFECT!
Sprinkle the chicken with olive oil, salt, and lime juice.
Then lightly dust with the chipotle chile powder. Toss to completely coat. Cover and let them marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat Dutch oven over medium-high until hot.
Add the tomatoes, beans, and chicken broth, then bring the soup to a boil.
Return the chicken to the pot, and as soon as the mixture is boiling, reduce it to a simmer.
Simmer for 5 minutes, partially covered.
Add the cilantro, and serve immediately.
Sprinkle with tortilla strips or chips, and squeeze fresh lime juice on top. Garnish with avocado, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
- 2 limes, cut into fourths
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, NOT drained (14.5 ounces)
- 2 cans black beans, NOT drained (15 ounces)
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed, and leaves removed from stems
- 6 ounces tortilla strips (or chips)
- Optional garnishes
- Sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, chipotle chile powder, and 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, and toss to coat. Cover and let sit 15 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pot, and cook approximately 5 minutes per side. (until well browned) Remove to plate and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Shred with 2 forks.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to Dutch oven and sauté onions until softened. (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and canned chipotle, and stir constantly for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and return the chicken to the pot.
- Simmer partially covered for another 5 minutes. Skim foam from the top, as it surfaces.
- Just before serving, stir in 1 cup cilantro leaves.
- Serve soup with tortilla strips, and garnish with any of the following: sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce