This soup is practically perfect! It meets all my T.E.N.A. criteria, which are: Taste (it’s delicious), Ease of preparation (it’s quick and easy), Nutritional value (it’s low fat and healthy), and Avocado (you can add them). So like I said, PERFECT!
Then lightly dust with the chipotle chile powder. Toss to completely coat. Cover and let them marinate for 15 minutes.
Heat Dutch oven over medium-high until hot.
Add the tomatoes, beans, and chicken broth, then bring the soup to a boil.
Sprinkle with tortilla strips or chips, and squeeze fresh lime juice on top. Garnish with avocado, cheese, cilantro, sour cream, hot sauce, etc.
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (1 pound)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
- 2 limes, cut into fourths
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 cans petite diced tomatoes, NOT drained (14.5 ounces)
- 2 cans black beans, NOT drained (15 ounces)
- 1 bunch cilantro, washed, and leaves removed from stems
- 6 ounces tortilla strips (or chips)
- Optional garnishes
- Sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce
- Sprinkle chicken with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, chipotle chile powder, and 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice, and toss to coat. Cover and let sit 15 minutes.
- Heat a Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken to pot, and cook approximately 5 minutes per side. (until well browned) Remove to plate and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Shred with 2 forks.
- Add remaining tablespoon of olive oil to Dutch oven and sauté onions until softened. (about 5 minutes)
- Add garlic and canned chipotle, and stir constantly for another minute.
- Add tomatoes, black beans, and chicken broth, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer, and return the chicken to the pot.
- Simmer partially covered for another 5 minutes. Skim foam from the top, as it surfaces.
- Just before serving, stir in 1 cup cilantro leaves.
- Serve soup with tortilla strips, and garnish with any of the following: sour cream, cheese, avocado, cilantro, hot sauce