This salad is so beautiful, and the colors make it perfect for Christmastime. Hence, the name. There’s also the fact that, for some reason, the words, ” … and a partridge in a pear tree” flash through my mind when I make it.
My friend, Michelle Harris introduced me to this deliciousness, and within two weeks, I’d made it seven times. I created my own dressing because the recipe she gave me called for a store-bought one, and I prefer homemade. Anyway, I experimented, and this is the version we like best. Her recipe also called for bacon crumbles. I used them in my experimental creations until one day, I forgot them. We didn’t miss it one bit, so now I just leave the bacon out. You may want to add it because, let’s be real, bacon is scrumptious! However, I’m here to tell you that this salad is just as scrumptious without it! That being said, you’re probably thinking to yourself, “Wow, this must really be a good salad.” Well, IT IS!
- SALAD INGREDIENTS
- 6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 pears, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 4 to 6 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
- CREAMY BALSAMIC DRESSING INGREDIENTS
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup sugar
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds (optional)
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Toss dressing with salad right before serving.