These little hand pies have been a tradition since our children were small. They’re a little bit of work, but you can make them ahead of time and freeze them before they’re baked. That way, on Christmas morning, just take them out of the freezer, place on a baking sheet to thaw for 30~60 minutes, then bake for 20 minutes. This can be done while everyone is opening their gifts. You have a wonderful Christmas morning treat with no stress.
Fun and fancy little hand pies.
Write a review
- 1 1/2 cups fruit preserves (any flavor)
- ~ OR ~
- 1 cup chopped fresh fruit
- 3-5 tablespoons sugar
- Pie crust dough for 3 (1-crust) pies
- Sparkling sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough very thin into a rectangle.
- With your cutter, make slight impressions in one half of the pastry to gauge how far apart to put your preserves. (My cutting tool makes circles that are 3 ½ inches in diameter.)
- Put approximately 1 tablespoon of preserves in the center of each mark. Use more or less depending on the size of your tarts.
- Fold the other half of the pastry over to cover your preserves.
- Gently press the dough all around the fruit to seal.
- Cut the tarts.
- Place on a parchment lined sheet. Poke holes in top with a fork and sprinkle with decorative sugar.
- At this point they may be frozen, to be baked at a later date ~ or baked in at 350 degrees for 20 -25 minutes or until golden.
- If you are going to freeze before baking, keep them on the baking sheet, in a single layer. Put the pan in the freezer for several hours. Remove them to a freezer bag. They last for up to 3 months in the freezer.
White Apron Blog http://whiteapronblog.com/
Preheat oven to 350 degrees, and line a baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment.